MKT 562 Brand Management
Select two brands that are competing against each other such as Nike versus Adidas, Budweiser
versus Miller, Coca Cola versus Pepsi, Rolex versus TAG Heuer, etc. Before you start your report,
please Email your instructor the brands you have chosen so (s)he can approve them. Do not
start work on your report unless you and your instructor have come to a clear agreement
regarding the brands you will be writing about.
Compare and contrast the two brands’ overall branding strategies. Essentially you are supposed
to conduct a brand audit for these brands, including:
1. Their target markets
2. Their positioning strategies (create a two-dimensional perceptual map using the two
most important attributes and plot the positions of these brands as well as the positions
of several other key competitors). Where are the two brands located relative to each other? Which one occupies the best position and why? What are the limitations of this two-dimensional perceptual map in terms of capturing the competitive positions of the brands? What are the POPs and PODs of the two brands?
3. Identify and compare the brand elements of each brand, including brand names and URLs, logos, symbols, characters, slogans, and packaging.
4. Identify and compare each of the two brands’ methods of leveraging secondary brand associations, including company image, country of origin, co-branding, licensing, celebrity endorsements, and sporting, cultural, or other events.
5. Compare the brands’ pricing, distribution, and promotion strategies. Provide links to key commercials, print ads, etc., and assess to what degree the brands manage to communicate their messages.
6. Based on all the above information, describe each brand’s identity and image. Which one do you think has done a better job in creating and maintaining an image that enhances its brand equity the most and why?
7. Pretend that you are a brand management consultant. What advice would you provide to each one of the two brands in terms of improving their competitive position and maximizing brand equity in the future? For that you will need to provide your assessment as to the key trends in the brands’ markets.
Your report should be written in a Word document and submitted to the Dropbox (This
Dropbox basket is linked to Turnitin). Make sure to provide all references and proper citations
for all the sources you have used in your report.
In addition to official sources, you can also use information based on your own experiences with the brands as well as information given to you by friends and acquaintances who are familiar with the brands. You may also conduct your own research by giving out questionnaires to friends and family and have them rate the brands. Obviously such limited surveys may not be representative, but they can nevertheless add to all other secondary data sources.
There is neither an upper nor a lower page limit for your report. However, this being a business document, you need to avoid unnecessary information, while addressing all 7 topics listed above. The Term Paper is to be submitted to the appropriate Dropbox by the conclusion of