1. In analyzing the communication within a group, what levels of interaction would you try to observe?
Who speaks most, who speaks to whom, and how speaking takes place
Frequency and length of interaction, and triggers for conflict
• Frequency and length, patterns of triggering, and who speaks to whom
Patterns of conflict, patterns of support, and patterns of reaction
2. Research documenting the value of diversity has focused primarily on a(n) ___________ performance on a variety of tasks.
3. Why is humor important to effective group communication?
• humor promotes cohesiveness and reduces tension
humor breaks the ice and gives one person the spotlight
humor provides a segue to intimate, personal intra-group relationships.
all of the above
4. What is modern racism?
belief that associates a whole group of people with certain traits
belief that most other people share your stereotypes
• subtle forms of prejudice in which people appear, on the surface, not to harbor prejudice but actually do hold prejudice attitudes.
tendency to regard one’s own ethnic group, nation, religion, culture, or gender as being more correct than others.
5. How can you minimize the possibility of miscommunication?
avoid adjectives that spotlight specific groups and imply that the individual is an exception
avoid terms that define, demean, or devalue others
negotiate for meaning whenever you think the other person misinterpreted what you said.
• all of the above.
6. __________ is any element that interferes with the communication process.
7.____________ communication occurs when a person feels threatened or anticipates a threat.
8. A(n) _________ is a person who translates and interprets messages, information, and new developments to groupmates.
9. The pattern of a group communication network can affect the flow of information, the way problems are solved, and the satisfaction of group members. The more complex the task, the more important it is that:
The circle or wheel pattern is the form of network used
Certain patterns, such as Y, be avoided
• There be more open communication patterns
An open pattern with a designated hierarchy be used
10. Based on your reading in this chapter, what can be concluded as the best way to cope with the diversity of people in groups?
Student Answer: Attempt to control group composition so as to reach the most optimal level of diversity.
Follow research-based recommendations for using heterogeneous groups.
• Strive to maximize the positive, and minimize the negative consequences of diversity.
Perform further research on multiple attributes such as gender, age, and cognitive style.