choose from one of the two operas listed below. These two operas are available at most local libraries. They are all available for purchase on Amazon.com. NOTE: it is HIGHLY recommended that you read a brief synopsis of the opera you will view before you view it, to enable you to understand the characters and sequence of events. This is particularly important if the version you watch does not have English subtitles. The synopses are available online through a google search (i.e. “name of the composer and opera AND synopsis”).
Giacomo Puccini: Madama Butterfly (available at the Superior Public Library – DVD 782.5 Mad)
Georges Bizet: Carmen (available at the Superior Public Library – DVD 782.4 Car)
Concert Report Writing Guidelines: You are required to write a review of the classical music concert or opera that you attend or the opera you view on DVD. This concert or opera viewing must be during the second half of the semester. Include the following elements:
- 1) List the music, genre, and the musical periods (Baroque, Romantic, etc.) represented on the concert.
- 2) Which musical elements stood out to you during the concert? (instruments, tempo, dynamics, melodic style, harmony, overall style)
- 3) Comment on the quality of the performance of the ensemble, the conductor, and if applicable the soloists. Was the performance compelling to you? Why or why not?
- 4) If writing about opera, how did the music contribute to the telling of the story?
- 5) What was your reaction to the entire performance? Your paper should be two pages in length, double-space in 12 point Arial (or similar ) font. Please include the date of the performance and the name of the performance organization and conductor in the paper. (One report, 50 pts)