Androsia manufactures batik fabrics in a labor intensive, low-volume process on the island of Andros. The Hershey tour shows how cocoa beans are processed into chocolate using a high-volume, line process.
1. Which process design strategy does each use?
2. Why would the two processes be configured differently?
3. What process management issues in one facility not be a problem in the other?
4. What competitive priorities are important for each?
5. How does the way they configure facilities allow them to be competitive?